B-25J Mitchell Specifications
- Two Wright R-2600 Double Cyclone fourteen cylinder, air-cooled radials, rated at 1700 hp each for takeoff and 1500 hp at 2400 rpm.
- Maximum speed - 275 mph at 15,000 feet.
- Cruising speed - 230 mph
- Initial climb rate - 1110 feet per minute
- Service ceiling - 24,000 feet
Range with 3,200 lbs of bombs - 1,275 miles
Ferry range - 2,700 miles
- Wingspan - 67 ft. 6.7 inches
- Length - 53 ft. 5.75 inches (bomber version)
- Height -16 ft. 4.2 inches
- Wing area - 610 square feet
- Empty weight - 21,100 lbs.
- Normal loaded weight - 33,000 lbs.
- Gross weight - 35,000 lbs.
- Maximum overload weight - 41,800 lbs.
- Four fuel tanks in the inner wing panels - 670 US gallons
- Auxiliary tanks in the outboard wing panels - 304 US gallons
Normal total fuel load - 974 US gallons
Additional tanks that were used for various missions
- Bomb bay tank - 515 US gallons
- Tank on top of the bomb bay (self sealing) - 215 US gallons
- Tanks in the side waist gunner positions - 125 US gallons
- Metal bomb bay tank (droppable) - 335 US gallons
Medium Bomber Version -
- One (1) .50 caliber machine gun in the nose (flexible mount) (300 rounds)
- One (1) .50 caliber machine gun in the nose (fixed mount)(300 rounds)
- Two (2) .50 caliber machine guns in the nose B-25J-20 model
Gunship Version -
- Eight (8) .50 caliber machine gun in the nose (400 rounds per gun)
All Versions -
- 50 caliber machine guns blisters (400 rpg) - Two each on the left and right sides of the fuselage, beneath the cockpit
- Two (2) .50 caliber machine guns top turret (600 rpg)
- Two (2) .50 caliber machine gun waist position (200 rpg)
- Two .50 caliber machine guns in the tail turret (600 rpg)
Bomb Load and other armament:
- Normal bomb load - 3,000 lbs.
- Maximum bomb load - 4,000 lbs.
- 5-inch high velocity aircraft rockets (HVARS) - 8 on under wing racks
- Aerial torpedo or glide torpedo - 1 under the bomb bay
Line Drawing of the B-25J Mitchell
Courtesy: www.the-blueprints.com. Used by permission.